Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (UNIC AILAB), University of Nicosia
The AI Lab of the University of Nicosia aims at developing cutting edge technology as well as state-of-the-art research on the fields of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Data Science. It consists of professors, Post-Doctoral researchers, PhD Students, as well as undergrad students that conduct research and collaborate on projects related to a plethora of topics like: Data Science (Data Stream mining, Deep Learning), Artificial Intelligence (Machine Learning, Uncertain Reasoning, Bayesian Networks), Smart Cities (Learning from Urban Data), Computational Social Science, Sentiment Analysis, Social Network Analysis and Big Data (Data-Intensive Computing, Cloud Computing, Distributed Systems, IoT). The team focuses on interdisciplinary topics working with external collaborators from Political Science, Social Science, Journalism and Health. In addition to the research goals the group provides high-quality teaching on relevant topics (e.g. Artificial Intelligence, Data Mining, Machine Learning).
Two positions available.
1. Machine Learning and Drone Technology
The University of Nicosia Artificial Intelligence Lab is looking for enthusiastic interns to work on the topic of Machine Learning and its applications to drone technology handling time-critical missions (e.g., search and rescue missions). Specifically, the Intern will assist the AILAB research team in developing innovative AI-enabled self-adaptive algorithms to ease energy consumption and improve data delivery timeliness in drone swarms. To achieve these goals, the Intern will explore the use of various power-efficient machine learning models for dynamically adjusting, in place, the data sensing and routing of data over drone swarms while maintaining mission requirements. The methods delivered by the project (and the Intern) will be placed in a modular and reusable framework for drone swarm operation.
This internship is offered in collaboration with Empiria Learning, and may be offered in a remote capacity, if needed.
- Students in Computer Science, Data Science, Computer Engineering are encouraged to apply
- Programming knowledge (e.g., Python, C/C++, Java)
- Software development and collaborative tools (e.g., git, slack)
- Data Structures and Databases knowledge
- Some experience in Machine Learning frameworks (e.g.,TensorFlow, sci-learn, pytorch) and Big Data frameworks (e.g., Apache Spark/Hadoop/Flink) or express the motivation to learn
- Some experience in using Unix-based Operating Systems and/or cloud computing environments.