|Partner Institution/Organization Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||Princeton applicants only|
|Dept Offering Program:||International Internship Program (IIP)||Program Type:||Internship|
|Language Prerequisite:||No||Program Features:||Community Service, Field Work|
|Degree Level:||1st year u/g students, 2nd year u/g students, 3rd year u/g students||Time Away:||Summer|
|Housing options:||Student Responsibilty with support from IIP and/or Host Organization||Program Group:||International Internship Program|
|Duration of Program:||8 or more weeks||Program Adviser:||Shahreen Rahman|
The Agency for Non-Konventional Urban/Rural Initiatives (ANKURI) is located in the foothills of the Himalayas outside of Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. Ankuri’s mission is to empower village women to become financially self sufficient, enabling them to be decision makers in their families. Economic self-sufficiency goes a long way in improving the health and education of their children. Opening pathways to long-term development of the community is Ankuri’s ultimate goal.
ANKURI has a number of programs interns may become involved with based on interest and competence. In general, interns assist with one project in a main area of focus while taking up a smaller side project for themselves. There will be tasks required of interns who are not taking up any projects of their own. Regular reflections and group discussions will take place a to evaluate the IIP intern's work throughout the internship. IIP candidates with interests in economic and community development, craft initiatives, literacy, and/or education are encouraged to apply. ANKURI is specifically looking for interns interested in teaching, writing, journalism, media, environment, community development and farming.
Scroll down to view the complete list of opportunities at this organization.
#1 Agriculture Intern
- Will be required to work on community farms, between 20-30 hours per week, for approximately 8 weeks during the growing season.
- Farming work would include manually prepping the land, weeding, composting, seeding and all other farming activities required in a farm without any machines.
- Interns must be able to withstand challenging weather conditions; do repetitive, tedious tasks; and be able to “go with the flow;” as plans often change quickly in farming.
- Good teamwork skills and a sense of humor are also essential!
No technical qualifications required. If the intern is an ecology/food/nutrition major, it will be helpful. Some work experience in the desired field preferred, but not essential.
#2 Education Intern
- Will be required to teach at two or maybe three different locations. The same lesson plans may be used in all three places. You can up the level or bring it down depending on your class. These are all government schools or private schools in under serviced areas.
- We have books available in the center and you can plan your classes around those. However, the schools would expect you to teach the children grammar points that they think are more necessary.
- Create a test to see what level the children are at, give them another test at the end of your stay. Record the findings.
- Test out lesson plans that have been created. Add your own insights and ideas to help create and complete a solid curriculum, use the lesson plans with the Step by Step flash cards.
- Make decorations and resources for the literacy center (ie. maps, labels for objects, worksheets that can be laminated and used/reused with whiteboard markers)
Teacher Preparation would be an advantage as curriculum planning will required.
#3 Social Media Intern
- Content Writing
- Creative/Video/Poster Creation
- Web Development
- Yearbook creation
- Media studies
Construction interns would complete manual labor by helping to build the ANKURI spinning center. Interns would make building blocks out of cement and gravel produced locally which would be used in the building to be used for ANKURI Work. The interns would be supervised and directed by a construction manager.
A basic knowledge of Hindi would be preferred but is not necessary.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|NOTE: Please note, the start and end dates for each internship will be determined by intern discussion with employer/host organization. Each internship will be at least 8 weeks in duration.|
Indicates that deadline has passed