|Partner Institution/Organization Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Sweet Briar College|
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Princeton applicants only|
|Program Type:||Study Abroad (semester)||Language of Instruction:||Spanish|
|Degree Level:||2 Sophomore||Housing options:||Homestay|
|Program Adviser:||Jordan Zilla|
JYS in SEVILLE (JYS) is a full-immersion program at the University of Seville, in Seville, Spain. Since 1984, JYS has provided top-ranking students from a variety of majors the opportunity to increase their Spanish language proficiency and cross-cultural communication skills. Students are enrolled in academically challenging courses specific to their interests and goals. All courses are taught in Spanish and students may choose a mix of courses offered at the JYS Center and at the University of Seville. In addition to academics, internships and volunteer opportunities are available in a variety of different fields, such as business, education, medicine, and journalism. Seville is an inviting, walkable, vibrant city known for its rich history and culture.
JYS is designed to help students maximize their time abroad for a cultural and academic experience that is both challenging and rewarding. The program is open to students with high-intermediate or advanced Spanish language skills for either a semester (spring or fall) or the full academic year.
JYS accepts applications from students in good standing at any accredited four-year college or university in the United States at two different levels of proficiency:
- High intermediate: Applicants must have completed the equivalent of at least three semesters of college Spanish prior to the beginning of their studies in Seville.
- Advanced: Applicants must have completed the equivalent of at least five semesters of college Spanish prior to the beginning of their semester in Seville.
Fall semester and academic year: MARCH 1
Spring semester: OCTOBER 15
- Full immersion: Live like a local, stay with a host family, take all courses in Spanish, participate in an internship, volunteering or extra-curricular activities. Increase your cross-cultural communication skills and international perspective, and make the most of studying Spain!
- Academics: Students may take courses at the University of Seville alongside Spanish and other international students. Choose a minimum of 4 courses from the University of Seville and/or from JYS seminars. Many different courses are availble for students with different interests and majors. All courses are taught in Spanish by native speakers.
- Linguistic progress: Students are asked to sign a Spanish-only pledge upon arrival in Spain and are expected to communicate in Spanish while engaged in all aspects of the program.
- Cultural Focus: Learn about Seville, its history, art, architecture, people and customs. Field trips to sites of cultural and historical importance are incorporated into an initial 2-week orientation. A stipend for cultural activities is included each semester to encourage students to take advantage of local cultural events.
- Student focused: JYS in Seville is a small group format whose staff is dedicated to ensuring each student is pursuing their individual study abroad goals.
JYS in SEVILLE
Sweet Briar, VA 24595
Tel. (434) 381-6281
Fax. (434) 381-6293
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|NOTE: Please note, these are DEFAULT program start and end dates. Please check with your program for specific term dates.|