Programs > Brochure
Non-Princeton Summer Study Abroad
Location Varies, TBD (Outgoing Program)
|Program Dates & Deadlines:||Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||Princeton applicants only|
|Dept Offering Program:||Study Abroad OIP||Program Type:||Study Abroad (summer)|
|Time Away:||Summer||Program Group:||Study Abroad OIP|
Non-Princeton Summer Study Abroad Program OptionsIf Princeton’s summer programs don’t suit your academic needs or interests, you may look into non-Princeton summer programs offered by other universities or program providers. You may discuss your program(s) of interest with a study abroad adviser in the Office of International Programs before applying to ensure that the program meets some basic requirements (contact hours, length of program, program quality).
All courses taken in the summer must be approved by the relevant departmental representative. If you are looking for an intensive language summer program, speak with the senior lecturer of your language interest. Be sure to review the processes for obtaining credit for non-Princeton courses. Remember that all non-Princeton summer courses must be pre-approved to be eligible for academic credit. All courses in the previously attended program options listed on this page are not automatically approved.
Be sure to review all Non-Princeton Summer Study Abroad policies regarding eligibility, course approval, transfer credit, grading, and transcripts.
Search for Summer ProgramsTo start searching for non-Princeton summer programs, you can:
Use the following search engines to help you find programs that may suit your needs. IIE Passport offers an easy search process, so it may be best to start there. Always check with a study abroad adviser after your initial search.
- Brown University, Office of International Programs
- Columbia University, Office of Global Programs
- Duke University, Global Education Office for Undergraduates
- Harvard University, Study Abroad Office
- New York University, Summer Abroad
- Northwestern University, Study Abroad Office
- University of Pennsylvania, Penn Summer Abroad
- University of Virginia, Education Abroad Office
- Yale University, Summer Session
- Arcadia University, College of Global Studies
- CIEE Study Abroad
- IES Abroad
- Institute for Study Abroad-Butler University (IFSA-Butler)
Previously Attended Non-Princeton Summer ProgramsThe programs listed below have been attended by Princeton students within the last four years. This list is not meant to be restrictive or exhaustive. Course approval is on a case-by-case basis, please make sure to review the process for obtaining credit.
- University of the West Indies - Mona Campus; Kingston, Jamaica
- IFSA-Butler Argentine Summer Language and Culture Program
- Universidad de San Andres–Intermediate or Advanced Spanish and Latin American Culture
- Summer Portuguese Program in Rio de Janeiro (Columbia University)
- CIEE Summer in Rio
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso–Programas Intensivos de Espanol
- School for Field Studies Costa Rica–Sustaining Tropical Ecosystems: Biodiversity, Conservation, and Development
- Cuba: Culture and Society (Northwestern University)
- Universidad del Pacifico, Lima
- University of Quebec at Chicoutimi
- Various universities in Canada
- Chinese University of Hong Kong; Hong Kong, China
- Alliance for Global Education; Pune, India
- Summer Program in Kyoto - Columbia University; Kyoto, Japan
- Kyoto Consortium for Japanese Studies - Columbia University; Kyoto, Japan
- Ewha Woman's University; Seoul, South Korea
- Seoul National University; Seoul, South Korea
- Korea University Summer Program - Korea University; Seoul, South Korea
- Yonsei University; Seoul, South Korea
- Prague Summer at Charles University; Prague, Czech Republic
- Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS); Copenhagen, Denmark
- Bread Loaf School of English; Oxford, England
- University of Cambridge, Pembroke-King's Programme; Cambridge, England
- Penn-in-London; London, England
- London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA); London, England
- King's College London; London, England
- London School of Economics; London, England Note: You must take two related three-week courses to qualify for one Princeton course.
- Arles Summer; Arles, France
- Institute for French Studies of Avignon; Avignon, France
- NYU in Paris; Paris, France
- Reid Hall Program; Paris, France
- Cours de Civilisation Francaise de la Sorbonne; Paris, France
- College Year in Athens; Athens, Greece
- Rutgers Summer in Urbino; Urbino, Italy
- Trinity College / Rome Campus; Rome, Italy
- UVA in Siena / CET; Siena, Italy
- Universidade de Coimbra: Faculdade de Letras; Coimbra, Portugal
- Higher School of Economics; Moscow, Russia
- University of Edinburgh; Edinburgh, Scotland
- Menendez Pelayo International University; Valencia, Spain
- Antonio de Nebrija University; Madrid, Spain
- Summer Institute for Hispanic Studies; Leon, Spain
- University of Salamanca; Salamanca, Spain
- Hebrew University; Jerusalem, Israel
- Qasid Institute; Amman, Jordan
- CLS Arabic Summer Program in Oman; Ibri, Oman
- Bogaziçi University; Istanbul, Turkey
Regular Princeton financial aid is not available for summer study abroad; however, there are other funding options to help you meet your program costs. During the summer, the Financial Aid Office offers summer savings replacement aid and loans to help meet program costs. Students apply to individual funders for financial support and/or may be awarded financial support through the program that they attend. The following sources may be useful to you if you are interested in summer study abroad funds:
Dean’s Fund for Summer Study Abroad
- The OIP administers the Dean’s Fund for Summer Study Abroad that offers funding on a competitive basis to students receiving financial aid and who enroll in structured academic study abroad and language programs lasting at least four weeks.
- Explore Princeton’s Student Activities Funding Engine (SAFE), which connects students with University funding for activities, including summer study abroad. Applications to the Dean's Fund for Summer Study Abroad are made through SAFE.
- Outside organizations also offer funding for students pursuing specific projects or studying abroad in certain locations. The Undergraduate Fellowships & Scholarships page lists awards for both summer and academic year study abroad. Funding opportunities for international activities are marked with a globe icon.
- You can also search for study abroad scholarships and grants through the Institute of International Education's study abroad funding engine.
- In addition, you may wish to explore sources of funding supported by Princeton alumni groups.
Application Instructions for Students1. Review the “Guidelines for Approving Courses at Other Institutions” on the signature documents of this application. Use a separate form for each course (exception: you may use a single form for a two-semester sequence – e.g., General Chemistry 1 and 2).
2. You must have the course information reviewed and approved by the appropriate departmental representative or program director in the department or program where the outside course would be taught, were it offered at Princeton.
3. This step should be completed ONLY if you wish to have the outside course satisfy a
prerequisite or requirement in a department or program other than the home department. Please take the form to the appropriate departmental representative or program director for review.
4. After you have obtained the necessary approvals in Steps Two, Three, and Four, leave this form with the Office of International Programs. Your approval will be uploaded to your GPS account when the course is approved.
5. After you have completed your course(s), order a transcript of your grade(s) to be sent to:
Office of International ProgramsPlease ensure that you request your the transcript be sent as soon as possible after your program ends. All transcripts should be received two weeks prior to the start of your next term at Princeton.
Louis A. Simpson International Building
Princeton, NJ 08544
Louis A. Simpson International Building
Princeton, NJ 08544
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2017||05/01/2017 **||Rolling Admission||06/01/2017||09/01/2017|
|NOTE: This deadline is for Princeton credit approval. Check individual program websites for their application deadlines, which may be different from the deadline listed here. Please check with your program administrator for precise start and end dates of this program.|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete pre-departure materials prior to the term's application deadline.